Today was probably the best day in the entire summer so far.
While I was grooming Harry, I got this idea: what if I lunged him in the round pen without his lead rope, just using the carrot stick? I don't know why I didn't think of this before. It seems like the most obvious thing in the world now. So after I braided his mane to train it on one side and his forelock so he can see, we headed out to the round pen armed with only the carrot stick and a lead rope (for some ideas later).
We entered, I unclipped him and walked to the middle and he followed, probably still thinking he was attached. I put my carrot stick and arm out to the side, waved it a little, and off he went. He started out slowly and then realized he was free. He has the cutest little gallop! He galloped around counter clockwise for about 10 minutes until I switched hands and yelled "Reverse!". Well he didn't really get that so I ran to the side of the pen where he saw me, yelled again, and he turned to go clockwise. I did that for a couple of reverses until he got the hang of what a tiny two-legger meant by yelling "reverse" at him. Then I tried to get him to stop on command. He didn't really get it so I had to run to one side and then the other, like the reverse, saying "whoa!" and keeping him from speeding off the other direction until he stopped and looked at me all puzzled. I held out my hand and he came to me, then I told him whoa again. Sent him back out and repeated until I just put my hands down and had to say whoa and he was coming right to me. That impressed Paco =]
After free lunging, I hooked him back up and put my carrot stick to the side and lunged like that. He was gaiting beautifully and keeping his distance from me. I called the reverse just as if I had the carrot stick and he reversed. He did try to stop a couple of times, nothing like Wednesday, but I got him back out without having to chase him; I just waved my arm like I had the carrot stick. He did so well! I let him back off for some final runs around before I called the final whoa, hooked him up, and walked him for a bit because he was dripping hot!
Saddled up and rode. He was positively charming and it makes me so smug to know that Ray watched me the whole time. The only complaint I have today about Harry is that he liked to rush the soundboard in the counterclockwise and so I'm trying to break him of that. Only one shot in the show and the sound board can make or break you! If I wanna win some money, we better have a good sound board!
I finished up completely happy and asked my mom to wash him off while I rode Brie around. A little miffed that I took her away from the crossbreeze in the doorway, we went over to the poles. Is it bad that she knows the pattern I do for the poles? We went around the indoor 4 times before heading out. She was wonderful! It's hard to believe she's the same horse! I have to keep thinking of new routes to take around the limited property, but we have fun. She didn't crowhop at all! I think she genuinely enjoyed herself. I'm so happy I finally found something she likes. If we keep working at it, maybe I'll even get a trail ride down the end of the country-block before summer's over!
No comments:
Post a Comment