Saturday
Today we had a huge party in celebration of Paco's birthday tomorrow because not everyone would be here tomorrow. It took away from riding time, but it was super fun. But before the party, I worked with Harry. We were doing the same kind of longeing from last week, using the pole, and it was going pretty well. He wasn't running so hard around the pole, but then he started fishtailing out again and didn't want to move back out...sigh. I really don't know what to do with him or why I suck at this so much. But Paco came over and told me to longe him from the bosal like I was a couple months ago, but he still kept fishtailing out, so Paco took him over.
Harry longed perfectly for Paco. =[ It's things like that that make me feel really bad. I don't know what else I could do to get Harry to work for me without thinking I'm a joke.
We bought bell boots for Harry in hopes that they would help him remember his back legs, but it didn't seem like they really did anything at all. He was just okay to ride, but at least he didn't act up. We put down the poles for the figure 8s and walked over them at the end of our ride. He started to even kind of hop over them and I could tell that he really started to like going over them. That made me happy, because the last time that we worked with the poles, which feels like forever ago, he was scared of them. So progress has been made at least in that department.
Sunday
So, the bell boots aren't really working at all. Oh well. At least the set was only $20.
I let my mom work with Harry today while I worked with Brie. We did a lot of bending and flexing and I started trying to teach her to flex while walking, but she more often than not thought that I wanted her to circle. Just tiny flexes is what I'm going for right now. We largo'd a ton and she was just snorting away out of sheer happiness, so I'm glad that she was at least content with what we were doing today. It was overall just a really relaxing ride and makes me so appreciative of everything we've gone through to get to this point. I never thought that I'd be here with Brie!
Nick rode Harry a bit today after my mom did. He basically said the same thing that everyone else did: Harry is a highly anxious horse. And Nick's way of dealing with Harry's anxiety is to circle him on the spot until Harry calms down, even if he's whipping around like a tornado until he calms down. I don't really think this is a great idea, because Harry made himself so dizzy once that he stumbled sideways almost into the wall after coming out of a tornado-spin circle. I'd much prefer to stop and let him calm himself down and continue on the ride. By the end of Nick's ride, Harry was black with sweat, and it was relatively warm enough in the barn, so we decided to wash everyone (with soap!) today. Now maybe they won't be so sticky and stinky! Although I'm sure this hope is futile, especially since the first thing Harry did when he got back in his stall was roll a bazillion times.
But as I was washing him, I got to thinking: maybe we should try a supplement on Harry like we did for Brie. We ordered Brie Smart Paks before (I want to say Mare Magic) when we were out of other options training wise and it worked like magic after only a month. We haven't had to order it again because she's so good now. Maybe something like that would be the way to go with Harry. I know that he doesn't have mean intentions and that he really is just a fearful horse. Maybe if he mellowed out he would be able to focus better.
Something that really helped my Paso Fino pay attention to his back legs is doing a body wrap with ace bandages. A lady named Linda Tellington-Jones promotes this. She explains in detail these tecniques in her book, with many other exercises that promote relaxation for your horse.
ReplyDelete