I've officially decided to join the college's Equestrian Team! I'm very excited for this because it's brought me out of my comfort zone. I can completely understand why Paso people and hunter/jumper people don't exactly get along...let's just say we both think of each other as a strange breed of people (and horses), but I'll be as open minded as I can be.
Apparently I'm very close to mastering the diagonals trickery, yet no where near getting cantering down pat. I was so used to a slight kick and tug and Brie taking off immediately, not this bouncy in between business where you almost lose your stirrups and cling to the saddle for dear life because the mane is unavailable because of clipping! In short, it was terrifying.
Not to mention I feel like I almost got killed! Okay, I made a mistake of passing too close to someone. Sorry if I didn't know that these horses are very temperamental and pushy, I didn't know that the horse I was passing would buck and try to kick my horse (and me!) in the face!
And I understand the whole, "You can't talk in the show arena so don't talk here" business, but that seems so...anthropocentric. It makes it feel like the animals are just that, animals. No bond or anything. Slightly unsettling, but maybe it's just the instructor.
I am going to try to do the last show, but if I'm not confident enough that I'd win at least third place (or beat this girl I know is on the NIU team), then I won't go in. I'll still take my lessons with my mom's friend's daughter over the summer and be amazing and phenomenal when I get back in the fall, primed for those jumps.
No comments:
Post a Comment