Sunday, July 17, 2011

Days 160 & 161

Saturday

I actually only rode Taco today. Jane was there and Paco joked that I should ride Taco again since he didn't see me last time I rode him, and Jane was all for it! I was kind of just looking forward to relaxing on one of my horses, but I rode Taco anyways. She was all excited because she bought a new bit for Taco, so Jane wanted to hear how I thought of the bit but she ended up having to leave.

I think the new bit works fabulously with Taco. It has kind of a high port, so it's further back in his mouth, and he is super responsive to it. On his old bit, I had to pull a little harder (which would make him angry) to get him to slow down, but on this one it was just a mild touch and he slowed to a walk. He has a fabulous walk too! Way more calm than the previous times I've ridden him. But as a wise old horse at the age of 16, I really need to be on my toes because I'm sure he knows every trick in the book, that old coot!

I only cooled Harry, who was super hot because Paco rode him very hard. He was still putting up a fight from last week about flexing, but who knows? He could've slept funny and been stiff...I like to give my horses the benefit of the doubt and everyone always makes fun of me for it, but really, if you slept weirdly, you wouldn't want to be throwing your neck around!

Sunday

So. Hot.

I went with the intention of just giving them all a nice bath and deworming them, but when we got there I somehow got roped into riding. After I had already rinsed Brie because she was icky and sweaty from just standing in her stall, my mom insisted that I at least just walk her because her leg was looking a little swollen so I just waited for her to dry, brushed her hair, and threw on a bit for a bareback ride.

Without a saddle, I could really feel her limping at the warm up and felt it go away when she was all warmed up. We really only walked and it was great! I thought for sure she'd try to take off because she wasn't wearing a saddle, but either she was super hot too or she was actually complying! Now THAT was the nice relaxing ride I was looking for yesterday -- although, it wasn't too fun having horse sweat and hair on my breeches!

Paco decided to ride Nina today too, since my brother was getting super aggravated with her because she kept going into a little canter. He rode her for a lonnng time, I felt bad because it was so hot out, she was almost black with sweat when he finished (and she's light brown!). He said that we should maybe change her bit, but I don't know, I think she's doing really well, especially since I never ride her and got second place. I don't put too much worth into people's words like that when I know that they're doing well. Like yesterday, Paco said something about them not performing as well as they did when they didn't have shoes on -- uh, yeah. The shoes aren't the ultralite ones, they're normal, they haven't had shoes on in over a year so they probably need a little bit more muscle to build up, and it's 100 degrees out pretty much every weekend since then! *shakes head*


Anyways, I don't know if I'll be out for the next two weekends...we may or may not be going on vacation. I'd rather stay here and ride!

No comments:

Post a Comment