Saturday
My mom has kind of taken over Harry since she started riding again, which is okay by me because I haven't had that much riding time with Brie as I would've liked to the past month or so. I'm glad that I get to work with her again, because she's gotten a little lazy. Today we worked a lot on calmly walking and then getting more flexible again. They were doing some construction outside of the arena today though, so everyone got scared of the cranes as they went by the door except for Brie and Nina! I attribute it to their being raised outside as babies. I don't know about the rest of the horses that were riding with us yesterday, or even Harry for that matter, but both Brie and Nina were raised outside from the moment they were born up until they were weaned, and even then they were put out in the pasture with other foals that were weaned at the same time, so they had to have hardened up in that time.
Although, that doesn't explain by Brie gets so anxious going outside. My mom mentioned going on a trail ride. Like a real trail ride. I think that would be a wonderful experience for everyone. I truly believe that once Brie gets out far enough that she doesn't know where she is and doesn't see the barn behind her, she'll settle down and be a great trail horse. Harry, I'm not so sure about.
I got the wonderful chance to ride Nina today since my brother was being generous. She is such a doll! I was just going to enjoy a calm walk on a horse that really WALKS, but then I figured I might as well work her a little bit. So after getting some instruction from my brother (keep my hands low and squeeze squeeze squeeze), Nina had the cutest little corto and a largo that could rival Brie's! I can't wait to show her in pleasure class, since my brother is taking all of the performance classes with her. If I won 2nd last year just hopping on her without practicing at all before, just think of what I could win if I practice!
Sunday
Brie just wanted to go go go today, so I let her, but at a sane pace. She didn't really want to walk and I figured heck, if she's feeling good enough, then I might as well let her corto. She was going along beautifully and setting her head so nicely and eventually she slowed herself to an animated walk. We worked a lot on leg yields, which I'm proud to say she is getting great at! When she starts floating off the rail, I'm now able to just shift my inside leg a little bit back and press gently and she'll move right over, without having to use my reins at all! I can even turn her with just my legs, one pressing on the shoulder and the other behind the girth and she turns on a dime! If only she weren't so anxious for shows, she would take all the blue ribbons.
I really wish that there were more fun shows around my area. I would trailer Brie to all of them and go in all of the classes just to get her used to it and make it not seem like a huge deal. If we had a bigger trailer, I would definitely bring her to the State Fair. I mean, it's cheap enough.
After I rode Brie, I got on Harry because he was being a bit bratty for my mom today after being completely freaked out yesterday over the cranes. He settled down, but he is tap dancing and pacing a lot now and I don't know what that's about. He doesn't need shoes for another 3 weeks, so I don't know what his deal is right now. Maybe this upcoming weekend I'll ride him first to figure it out if I can. We were about to all go outside and ride when there were multiple gunshots from down the street, and while I know that Brie wouldn't be phased by it, I was worried about how Harry and Nina might react, so that cut our ride short. I'm sure they were completely fine with it though and getting their cool bath.
I'm kind of bummed because the past two weeks it's gotten so hot so quickly that we haven't really had time to play any Parelli with them. I'm so eager to send Harry over the tarp! Maybe this weekend will be a little cooler so that we could play.
No comments:
Post a Comment