Sunday, January 13, 2013

Days 274 & 275

Saturday

Brie was pretty stiff today, which might have had something to do with the weather. It was unseasonably warm today and although it was a nice surprise, I'm sure it affected everyone in some way. Except Nina! She was working fantastically! If only Brie and Harry could be more like her.

That's not entirely true. Harry looked like he was working really well. I didn't get the chance to ride him today, but I'm planning on it for next weekend. I think that the same groundwork program that we did with Harry would be good for Brie. Maybe not to give her a month off like he did, but to incorporate it into what she's doing now. She really needs to refocus herself and remember what she's supposed to be doing, not just running around all of the time, especially if I want to bring her to show this year. After this summer, I don't know when I might be able to go to another horse show again, or even ride again, once I go to law school in the fall, so I have to make the best of it now! That means enjoying every weekend and every ride to the fullest. I want Brie to be in great condition, physically and mentally, for this show season that way in case there is an empty spot in someone's trailer, she can take it! Maybe after a couple of years of not showing, she will forget how scary the shows were for her.

Sunday

The farrier came out today, which is Brie's favorite day! I think she really likes getting her hooves trimmed, she just looks so happy. While we were waiting for the farrier, I took Harry and the giant exercise ball that we have in the tack room and brought them into the arena. I wanted him to sniff it and eventually push it with his nose, but we got to sniffing it. I let him go up to it and pet him when he did. I started pushing the ball towards him but he was getting scared, so I started kicking the ball away from him and making him follow me and the ball so that way it would perk his interest. It seemed to work! He really needs to get over his timidness and now that he is better after his month off, I think that the next step is really focusing on overcoming his fears on the ground. Especially since they are so simple, like being scared of balls and tarps! Even puddles. We're going to work on those a lot because once we move (hopefully) out West, he'll have to get used to all sorts of new things, especially for trail rides!

No comments:

Post a Comment