Sunday, January 23, 2011

Day 119

This post is for yesterday because I didn't go out today. I watched the Bears game and THEY LOST! Shoot. Next time it comes down to football or riding, I'm picking riding.

But read on! I have exciting news!!

Saturday

We stayed for a short while today, as all Saturdays, because my dad had to go to work. It was a mere 5 degrees and made me thankful that our barn is heated! I rode only Harry---for the first time in a while, I started him. I had a bad start lunging, as he got really excited and pretty much almost dragged me through the dirt, but I didn't get dragged and I didn't let go and I managed to get him back in and start over again calmly. He lunged well after that, and then I decided that before I got on, I would address his issue of not wanting to flex while I was on the ground. It took some work, he got a little angry with me, but we worked through it and by the end, he was flexing like a pro! I got on and made sure that he would give me his head and he was like a rockstar!

We walked around, did some figure 8s and circles, and took a few passes around while gaiting before we had to get off to get ready to leave. While I was brushing him off, the pregnant mare across the aisle from us started pacing and then abruptly squealed at looked at her stomach. My mom stated, "Yup, she's in labor, she's having contractions." So of course I started pleading to stay and watch! But sadly, we had to leave. She tried to comfort me with the fact that the mare would hold off until the night time when everything was quiet and people weren't around.

Well an hour later, Paco called.
THE MARE HAD A COLT!
I can't wait to go this weekend and take a bunch of pictures!!! It got my mom thinking of all these baby plans and possibly buying the colt and possibly breeding Nina and starting babies under saddle and it's just so exciting! I absolutely can't wait until this weekend! Hopefully the week will fly by!

3 comments:

  1. yay, it's so great to hear of a colt being born! everywhere i hear of fillies being born, we want colts! lots of colts!

    harry sounds like he makes things interesting for you :L

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad Harry didn't drag you through the dirt, ouch!

    I hope we get some pictures of this little colt ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm afraid my horse Rogo has gotten away from me on the lunge line. Good for you for hanging on.
    I'll look forward to some colt pictures :)

    ReplyDelete