Saturday
I only went out with mom today. It was a slow kind of day and I got to work with Nina. Today, we faced the oh so scary scissors for a trim! She was already pretty shaken up because the vet came out this morning, so I'm sure the last thing she wanted to deal with was me snipping around, but she has these whiskers on the sides of her face behind her cheeks that look like gills and it drives me crazy! So after a couple minutes of head tossing, she gave in and relaxed and let me snip off the gills and under-jaw whiskers and now she looks quite polished =]
Lots of round-working today. She tends to throw her head when you ask to flex and back up, so we worked on that. She trotted for a while until she got into gait. A fairly good ride, I'm sure as I continue riding her I'll get better at figuring out what she likes and doesn't like.
Rode Brie bareback today with just a bit! She was slightly thrown off by this and I almost slid off when I wanted her to turn one way and she decided she was going the other because of a big scary crate in the corner (the same scary crate that's been there for a month now...), and we just walked around. Super relaxing! But short because it was her dinner time and she was getting antsy.
Sunday
Everyone went out today and I rode Brie first. Now that she knows that sometimes I'll let her canter, that's her favorite thing to do! I would've worked on it more today, but I didn't think I should because I haven't really worked her since before Christmas, so we just walked for a while as a good warmup and then corto'd and got in quite a bit of a largo here and there. We were both pretty happy.
Harry was pretty good too today! I have to work more on getting him to give me his head to the left side. He fights everyone about that. He's gotten a lot better since we've started, he doesn't get so angry about it that he rears, but it should still be easier than it is. It shouldn't be this big production to make a small flex. So we will continue working on his flexibility/willingness.
I can't wait until it starts warming up. Everyone wants to go outside for a run and I feel anxious at the idea of going outside even walking because of hidden ice!
Hey Lexa -
ReplyDeleteYou have an award waiting for you on my blog :)
Be careful with that ice!!