Worked a lot with Harry today. Did a lot of lunging just on the Parelli halter before I rode. We made little bracelets for his back feet so he would pick them up more, but they didn't really keep an effect while I rode.
I think that trying something new, letting him romp around before we got down to business, was a mistake. I think that it messed with his head and set off the day in a bad direction that took way too long to get back on track. I guess now I know. He just needs a lot of warming up, not losing his focus, and to just keep being reinforced when he's doing the right things. It'll take some time for him to get all his legs in sync, but we can do it before show season starts.
Brie was wonderful. Didn't ride for very long, but she listened really well. I can't wait until it gets warm outside--I can't wait to start trying trail rides again with her! I just need to find some trails.
My horse Rogo needs a long warm up too, whether we 'play' first, or get right down to work. Over time, I think he does better if we mix things up though. He gets bored and then I don't get any try.
ReplyDeleteI'm waiting for warm weather too!