Monday, April 22, 2013

Day 294

Sunday

I rode Harry today! I worked with him the whole time, since we didn't have a whole lot of time. I woke up late...I couldn't help it!

He was a good little boy today. He wasn't pulling any tricks or anything. He was super energetic on the longe and I flexed him on the ground before I got on, just in case. Nick broke my carrot stick...so as soon as I order a new one I want to get back into Parelli stuff, especially because I will be staying here for the next three years. Yep, I'm staying here for law school, which I guess is nice, because then I won't have to stop riding and improving myself and the horses.

He was kind of poopy and kind of pacey riding, but I tried my best to connect with his energy and sit deep, urging him on with my seat and my legs while trying to relax his head through checking and circling rather than holding it down. He settled into it eventually. I just feel like now we're back at square two with him. Not square one, because his attitude has definitely improved, but square two, because he isn't performing as well as I know he can. Maybe I'll see how he does at this show next week and then decide whether or not to take him off of the calming supplement. The key is to get him relaxed but not so relaxed that he's a bump on a log, and that's a difficult balance to get right now.

His largo is pretty pacey again...so I can't really make a huge difference in speed between corto and largo in show without him pacing or getting anxious. I hope that doesn't prevent us from placing. It just kind of agitates me that I can't figure out, after a year off of shows, what to do with him to make him super performance ready. I'm really satisfied with how his attitude has come out and how he trusts us (to an extent. still hates the tarp and big ball), but now I need to get his spirit and confidence up to perform. Despite this feeling, I just have to remember that I'm making progress.

No comments:

Post a Comment