Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Days 292 & 293

Saturday

It was absolutely freezing today, such a difference from last week.
During the week, everyone got their hooves done...well, mostly. Nina didn't get her hooves done because the new farrier said that there wasn't enough growth to trim or put nails into, so he is going to let her grow until next time. He said that Brie's hooves were too small to support her frame, so he's going to work on letting them grow in a certain way so that they are more effective. I'm not entirely sure how much he wants them to grow, as they've never been very big her whole life. We'll see. And Harry was a good boy and didn't need to take the tranquilizer so I was proud of him =]

I didn't ride Harry today. I was more focused on Brie. I was super proud of her for not embarrassing me at the mounting block in front of everyone. She let me get on in one try! She was in a very fast mood today and we worked on reversing. She is getting better at not speeding through them and breaking into a canter. It took a while for us to get into our groove, but once we did, I felt her collecting a little bit. Not as much as those couple of times, but it was a definite improvement. I felt her rounding her back and really settling into it.

Sunday

Day to night, this weather is. It was 70 degrees out today, so I took advantage of it by riding outside. Brie is so much more relaxed now in the outdoor arena than she has been in the past and I really think it's because I take time before we tack up to go longe out there. I think it helps her set up where we're going to be for the day. I will have to try to get to the arena early at the shows so that we can do that there too. The main arena, not just the warm up one.

She was SO good walking outside today! We actually walked out in the pasture. AND on top of that, we all went for a mini ride down the street! Down the street from Gary's place is a dead end, so we rode down to the end and back. Everyone was super calm, even Harry. I can't even tell you how proud I am of everyone, especially with a barking dog in someone's yard. I feel like their good behavior out on trail means that they really trust all of us that nothing bad will happen to them, which is exactly what we want them to understand. It's nice to finally be getting there.

I suppose with our first show coming up in 2 weeks that I should start riding Harry more. I will have to make it a point to ride him each day every weekend until the show comes to make sure that we're on the same page. If he stays in gait, he will sweep the pleasure classes.

No comments:

Post a Comment