I went to see the new Secretariat movie!
It was fantastic. It was mostly about the woman, Penny Tweedy, who owned him and how she defied the typical housewife stereotype by going with her instincts, from which foal to keep to how to train him for the final leg of the Triple Crown. I actually cried while watching the Belmont Stakes scene of the movie, not out of sadness, but out of sheer amazement that an animal, an earthly creature, was able to run that fast, was that powerful.
My mom got to witness that on TV. I wish that horses were as prevalent in American culture as they were in the times of War Admiral, Seabiscuit, and Secretariat.
And with that, I leave you with the amazing, live 1973 coverage of the race.
Ooo I really want to go see that movie!
ReplyDeleteBut the live coverage is amazing! I've never seen that before and am quite impressed- I'd love to ride a horse that could run like that- I mean our Quarters are fast but Secretariat was like pure speed. Thanks for putting up that video:]