Saturday, October 31, 2009

Day 23

Happy Halloween! =]

I would put up pictures, but my camera ran out of battery and my charger's at school.

Today I gave apples to Brie and Nina as a Halloween treat. Brie ate it in about two bites. We're still working with the mounting block. It took me at least a half hour, I didn't keep track of time, for her to stand still next to the mounting block and let me get on. We did that twice! Not in a row, though, because that would be way too amazing. So I felt very accomplished. I try not to get discouraged when people tell me that I should just give Brie one good smack and then she'll understand what I want her to do. That wouldn't help solve anything, that'd only make her upset and even more confused. While people say that she doesn't care how I feel. I don't think that. I think she cares how I feel. Horses have to be in tune to how their riders feel, that's what makes them nervous and gives them confidence, it affects their whole mood. So I'm just going to go on the way I have been, even though it might seem soft, because I want to teach Brie by showing her primarily what I want her to do, not what I don't want her to do.

My mom fell off of Nina today. It's like a curse of bad luck at the stable. She didn't full blown fall off of her like the owner's wife did. Nina was gaiting across the sound board and turned around to go on the sound board next to it and the saddle slipped and went sideways with my mom in it. My mom sort of gracefully fell onto her butt from there. Nina wasn't moving, like the good horse she is, until she saw my brother running towards her to help my mom. She ran down the sound board and I cut her off with Brie. My mom's okay, so that's really good.

Did I mention that Dominic isn't coming? Yeah, he was supposed to come two weeks ago, but the owner cancelled it because the clinic would've only been us at the stable. We couldn't get anymore people that were interested to attend, so we just have to wait until the spring to try again.

Aside from all of that, today was a good day. I'm bringing a whole load of books with me to school this week to read about horse manners, dressage for Paso Finos, thinking like horses. I'm even bringing the entire Parelli Level 1 DVD set. Yes, I'm that bored at school. I don't have any homework ever. So this should be very productive.

No comments:

Post a Comment