Saturday, April 3, 2010

Day 50

First off, I'd like to say, Wow. I've been at this for 50 days over a span of about 9 months. I didn't know that 9 months of my weekends was the equivalent of 50 days. It doesn't seem like that much time I've spent working in reality. I've been expecting all these changes, but really it's just like Brie's had about 2 months of training.

Brie was nothing compared to Harry today.
First thing I did with Brie was SHED HER. She is SO furry! I spent a good half hour with that charcoal block shedding her. It was nice enough so I rode a little bit outside before Ray asked me to get on Harry. I switched with my mom and agreed.
Harry. Is. Insane.
Well. Not so much insane as anxious and uppity. He was giving Ray a bit of a hard time and while I just wanted to walk him around the outdoor arena, Ray insisted on having me gait him around. Less than one lap around the arena, I was up in the air, lost a stirrup and was about to make my (short) fall onto the ground when I yanked him to the side. Even off balance he was trying to rear up on me while Ray was yelling "Release the reins!" No way in hell was I going anywhere until that horse was staying still underneath me and I had my stirrup back. He continued to try to rear up throughout the rest of the ride so I circled him everytime I felt him getting angry or anxious.
I've come to the conclusion that his rear is much different than Brie's. When Brie goes to rear, which she hasn't in ages, she simply pushes off with the front feet up a little bit into the air. When Harry goes to rear, he sinks in his back feet and propels himself upwards in an attempt to do a Shawn Johnson backflip. Now that I know this is his preparation, I know exactly when to circle him.
Not to mention that Ray did nothing to come and aid me. I think that was a test. I think he was trying to use my possible injury as an example of why he needs more money to train more. I think I thoroughly shocked him when I not only stayed on, but handled myself accordingly.
How I wish I could make it out there every day to train. My horses would be so much happier.

Not to mention that Ray doesn't want any horse that he's training to be let outside. Bullshit. Only a couple more weeks and then all three of my horses can go outside, not just Brie. I feel bad for Harry and Nina. I wonder if Ray every considered the reason why his horses are so unruly is because he never lets them outside.
Why is this a recurring pattern with the trainers I've experienced?

No comments:

Post a Comment